Note: This is a post I started on Thursday, December 31 and I never hit “Publish” – I just kept adding to it all weekend. So it’s gotten kind of long and unwieldy – not to mention it was barely interesting to begin with! But I’ve dedicated three days to it, darnit, so I’m going to publish it. Feel free to not read it. ;)

I wish I had some sort of…competency…with being responsible, and could blog regularly, rather than 500 posts in one week and then silence for 3 months. But it is what it is, and if I try to save a post for later it will never get done, so you’re just gonna get posts when I write them, and you gotta be okay with that.

Anyway, this is a post I’m using as an excuse to take a break in cleaning so I can brag about how much I’ve accomplished. I’ve had to stop myself a few times from going too far. I’m trying to stick to the items that were planned out in The Confident Mom calendar. Like she said to clean one shelf in the fridge. I cleaned one and was like “omg, that’s so nice – I should do the entire thing!!” But then I had to remind myself that I’ve got a dozen other small things to do, and if I spend an hour on the fridge that’s six little things that will fall through the cracks.

Dec 31

By 10:00 I had:

  • started our sheets in the wash
  • swept/mopped the living room
  • gathered up *most of* the Christmas decorations in preparation for packing them up
  • taken out the recycling
  • paid our ADT bill
  • made some sweet tea (this totally belongs on this list, stfu)
  • unloaded about half the dishes in the dishwasher

Now I’m gonna eat breakfast and take my vitamins.

Holy crap, it’s already 2:00?! I have accomplished less than I had hoped, but I got some stuff done:

  • dried the sheets and made the bed
  • started a load of towels
  • wiped down our back door and cleaned the windows
  • found a recipe for homemade laundry detergent (haven’t had to make any for 3 years, so I forgot how)
  • finished unloading the dishwasher and put the dishes from the sink back into it
  • spent an unGODLY amount of time getting our new Pack-n-Play assembled and set up in the bedroom


Progress! | The Wilson Buzz1: I had to pause to admire how tightly packed this whole mess was. Because that will NEVER happen again.

Progress! | The Wilson Buzz2: When I initially pulled it out, I thought “Oh, this won’t be so bad, after all!”

Progress! | The Wilson Buzz3: Aaaaand then I unrolled everything. Oh.

Progress! | The Wilson Buzz4: The initial frame was crazy easy! I’ve had a little bit of experience setting these up with my sister’s kids. I was feeling pretty positive at this point.

Progress! | The Wilson Buzz5: When your kids are still really little you can add in this mesh bit to raise the mattress up. That way you don’t have to bend down so far to get them in/out.

Progress! | The Wilson Buzz6: See? I was still feeling pretty optimistic at this point. I was so naive…

Progress! | The Wilson Buzz Progress! | The Wilson Buzz

7. It legit took about an hour to get from the first picture to the second – no joke. omg, this was the worst thing ever. It was freaking impossible. I’ve never been so frustrated. But! I assembled it! I am wonder woman! Raising a child will be easy after this!! ;)

Progress! | The Wilson Buzz Progress! | The Wilson Buzz

8. Sweet, sweet victory. Never has anything been so satisfying. Yes, the bar is set pretty low. I enjoy the simple things in life. Don’t question it. The picture on the left is the “napper” and the right is the “changer”. It’s super easy to flip between the two. So even though it was a beast to put together, I admire the engineering that went into it.

Progress! | The Wilson Buzz9. FINISHED! I guess they can look at and/or play with the little hangy stars? Or they just include those so parents can end on a high note. lol!

Progress! | The Wilson Buzz10. And then I moved it into the bedroom. Not sure if it will sit there for the next three months or if we’ll pack it up and wait to assemble it once it gets closer to time. Hopefully LBW actually sleeps in the stupid thing, after all this. >.>

Jan 1

It’s noon! Since I last checked in I have:

  • finished the load of towels
  • started a load of sheets
  • did another load of dishes
  • got dressed and went to Walmart, omgeeze
  • made homemade laundry detergent
    • 1 box borax
    • 1 box washing soda
    • 1 box baking soda
    • 3 bars fels-naptha laundry soap – grated
  • deep-cleaned the sink!

And more importantly, we hung out with friends and had a faaaaaantastic New Year’s Eve. We went out to eat dinner, then played Exploding Kittens and Uno. We actually managed to (barely) stay awake until midnight!! And then immediately went to bed.

Happy New Year! | The Wilson BuzzHappy New Year!

Anyway, back to cleaning, I guess…

By the time we left the house around…6:00?…I had gotten a few more things done:

  • unloaded dishwasher
  • folded towels and sheets – put them away
  • wiped down the fronts of fridge, dishwasher, and stove
  • cleaned off/wiped down the kitchen counters
  • swept/tidied living room

But, yeah – we were going to catch the 7:15pm showing of The Hateful Eight at the movie theater in Franklin, because they were showing it in 70MM. We got there about 30 minutes early, but they were already sold out. Oops. So – unexpected all-night date night!! We went to Tin Roof 2 for dinner:

Tin Roof 2 | The Wilson BuzzAnd then we bought tickets to see Sisters at 8:20:

Deadpool | The Wilson BuzzAnd then we got to see The Hateful Eight at 11:15pm:

Deadpool | The Wilson BuzzOkay, so those pictures have nothing to do with the movies we saw. But we’re really freaking excited about the Deadpool movie coming out in February. And this is just further proof that Mr. T is better at getting his picture taken. Anyway, we got home after 3:00am last night/this morning and then I slept until about 10:30am.

Jan 2

So the FlyLady Day 2 is to “get dressed to lace-up shoes” first thing. Ha! Ahahahahaha! Ha! No.

Progress! |The Wilson BuzzI have shoes on?!

So I sat down on the couch to check in on my The Confident Mom calendar and update this never-ending post… And then the cats came downstairs. We have to keep them locked up most of the time because Khat doesn’t use litter boxes anymore. :( Our entire upstairs smells like urine. Soon we’ll be ripping up the carpet and replacing it with “hardwood” flooring – either laminate or vinyl. And at some point I’m going to have to put my sweet girl to sleep. She’s got arthritis, diabetes, and a severe litterbox aversion. We try to keep Chairman with her, so she’s not totally alone, but then he starts to get stir-crazy from being locked up away from people…it’s a mess. So, long depressing story long…we’re going to have to put her to sleep soon. :(

With all that being said, she came downstairs and climbed up in my lap:
Khat | The Wilson BuzzHow can I not spend time with her?! So now I’m playing The Lego Movie game for PS3 and it’s nearly 2:00pm. #dealwithit

Aaaaand, I got back on track around 4:30. >.< Between then and bedtime, I was able to:

  • schedule an appointment to look at a car tomorrow
  • clean out the freezer
  • run a load of my laundry
  • run a load of Todd’s laundry
  • sweep the living room
  • cook dinner
  • sweep/mop the kitchen floor
  • stay on top of dirty dishes

Oh, and spend lots of time on FB, watch several episodes of several TV shows on Netflix, and buy a stroller/car seat combo off our registry!


Tell me how you REALLY feel: